COCC Meeting Minutes – August 2018

posted in: Meeting Minutes | 0

Candlelight Oaks Civic Club, Inc.
Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting
August 9, 2018

Present: Sandy Ericksen, Jill Prado Salyers, Lori Bulla, Darilene Bonnet, Michel Kuhnen, AD Koen, Richard Solis
Absent: Amelie Fredland, Darin Lee, Charlie Bowman
Residents: Gill Daoust, Marilyn Harper
Guests: SEAL Sgt Bonsey

2018 BOARD OFFICERS:
Sandy Ericksen President
Amelie Fredland Vice-President
Jill Prado Salyers Treasurer
Darilene Bonnet Secretary
Lori Bulla Pool Committee Chair
A.D. Koen Security Committee Chair
Michael Kuhnen Deed Restrictions Chair
Richard Solis Social Chair; Acorn Delivery
Darin Lee Landscaping Chair
Charlie Bowman Asst. to Treasurer / Financial

Marilyn Jo Harper Acorn Editor 2018

President Sandy Ericksen called the meeting to order at 7:35 pm.

SECURITY: Sgt Bonsey discussed the July SEAL reports. Incidents reported for the month mostly consisted of abandoned cars and trucks needing to be reported and towed, 3 solicitor incidents and no reported thefts, although there was an incident where a homeowner heard someone trying to open the front door of her home, however, her dogs barking resulted in the subject leaving. One small girl was on her way to the pool, was approached by SEAL, who escorted her back home. There was a discussion about having SEAL add some night shifts at random times towards year-end.

TREASURER REPORT: Jill has successfully transferred our financial information to Proledge for bookkeeping purposes and sending out invoices in November. Proledge will not write checks or handle our monies and bank accounts, but will reconcile our books. Currently, we have approximately 14 residents still owing money, totaling about $20,000 in outstanding revenue. Each Board Chairman will need to plan for their expenses and provide this info to Jill and Charlie for use in the 2019 Proposed Budget to be voted on in the October election.

POOL: Pool Membership is at 62 members, a record number, says Lori. A handle broke off the vacuum pump to backwash, costing $100 to repair, repairs are needed of lounge chair fabric, floorboards in the Pavillion are starting to rot, and chunks of the pool surface are starting to come up, all for which will need to be budgeted. The pool will need some extensive repairs, involving pool being drained for plastering.

DEED RESTRICTIONS: This month’s Deed Restriction Letters went out and one important (3 year problem) was resolved due to the letter. July 21st was the last Drive Through, pattern is every 6-8 weeks; next drive is scheduled for September 8th with Michael, Marilyn, and Darilene.

LANDSCAPING: Ray will continue his landscaping of common areas and Tidwell until the end of August, at which time Darin will review bids of new companies; Ray will continue to provide service to the pool/playground area. There are 3-4 bids for landscaping on the table. Shrubs need replacing at the Pool entrance, hopefully prior to OaksFest, per Sandy. A.D. and Michael will pull the old shrubs out of the ground. A.D. brought up the idea of having benches installed near each of the 3 library stands. So, can we ask folks to donate benches? Darilene has a metal bench she would be willing to donate to the library on Bayou Vista and will look for a solution to secure it.

LONG RANGE PLANNING: Michael will look at these planned expenses and the timing of such for the budget in 2019: pool resurfacing expense (2020-2021) and fencing for playground. Michael made a recommendation to replace picket fence with a metal fence; 165 feet, including a gate about 5’ wide, an L-shaped fence, 4 feet tall. A bid was received for $5937.51. Everything included, it will be approx. $6,000 to replace the entire fence this year. This company is a recommendation of Michael. A motion was made to replace the fence prior to OaksFest. Motion voted upon, approved and carried.

SOCIAL: There are 2 events coming up. Labor Day, Sept 3 – per Richard, this will be catered. October Fest, October 13, also catered. The Children’s Library Project worked out well and has been well received. Richard will send a thank you note to the contacts at HISD as a gesture of appreciation.

ELECTION: The Treasurer usually counts the votes for the election. Ballots need to be counted at OaksFest, per Lori Bulla. Those Board members up for renewal will need to email bios to Marilyn so that the ballots can be prepared with the appropriate candidates. Bio needs to be in by Oct. 1, 2018. There will be ballots available at the pool for OaksFest.

MISC: Charlie is putting together an email address list and has about 70 homeowners so far, so as to send out invoices electronically. Gill is considering becoming a webmaster for Candlelight Oaks Web Site; Marilyn to support. The COCC insurance policy was circulated to all Board members prior to the meeting for review and is up for renewal. Premium fee is the same for as long as Sandy has been around. The Board approved to renew this policy by a show of hands.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:45 pm.