COCC Meeting Minutes – July 2021

Candlelight Oaks Civic Club, Inc
Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting
July 8, 2021

Sandy Ericksen President
Lori Bulla Vice-President & Pool Committee Chair
Dan Gonzalez Treasurer
Marilyn Harper Secretary & Acorn Editor
Hope Edmondson Security Committee Chair
Polina Blossman Deed Restrictions Chair & Website
Dan Sherer Landscaping Chair
-Open- Social Committee Chair
Johanna Wolfe Long Range Planning & Government Outreach

Present: Sandy Ericksen, Marilyn Harper, Dan Sherer, Lori Bulla, Hope Edmondson, Polina Blossman. Absent: Dan Gonzalez, Johanna Wolfe. NOTE: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 lockdown and social distancing, this meeting was hosted by Sandy using ZOOM.

Sandy opened the meeting at 7:35 pm.

Pool: Lori reported having 63 members at this point, and she thinks that 2019 was the highest number of members since she began being the Pool Committee chair. (See Footnote #1.) The pool has not been inspected yet by CoH. There are chairs at the pool with ripped webbing, which Lori said that Ray Cowart is going to repair and recover as his time permits, without charge to COCC.

Landscaping: Dan said the CoH water meter recently restored to service on the Bolivia median is still not working properly — there is a problem with the water pressure, even though the city has been out twice to fix it. He said the landscaping mow usually happens on Tuesday, but with it raining every day, the schedule is hard to keep lately. Dan reports that there are lots of backyard trees that need trimming in CO houses that back up to Tidwell. Some of them have branches hanging down over the Tidwell sidewalks so low that they obstruct foot traffic. Marilyn proposed to write this problem up for a RoCO (Residents of Candlelight Oaks Facebook group) announcement to see if we can get homeowners backed up to Tidwell to check the condition of their trees at the fence-line for obstructions, and do some trimming if needed.

Dan is working on assembling a Fence Committee to investigate the feasibility of having a crash-resistant and noise-abating fence built along the CO backyards on both sides of Tidwell. He is in touch with a homeowner in the Ashford Lakes subdivision, who are working with the city of Sugar Land to construct such a barrier along their boundary.

Dan also wants to have Gill make some new security contact signs for display at the pool. The ones still in use were made for SEAL and have old phone #s marked through. So Dan proposed the signs, Hope seconded, and everyone online agreed. A.D. phoned in during the meeting to tell Sandy that he wants to have Gill do a new driveway gate closing sign, as the old one was made when Covid made the closing time 8 pm. A.D. and his wife Bobbie are opening and closing the driveway gate and closing time is now 9 pm. There was a discussion about how nice the 2 huge palm trees at the pool are looking, with new green fronds at the tops, as they recover from the February freeze.

Deed Restrictions: Upcoming, Polina is going to drive the first DR drive-through in CO for over a year. Marilyn will take notes on the addresses where infractions are deemed to require a letter, and Sandy will take pictures of the problems. Marilyn and Polina will create the letters using the template files, and putting in the address, homeowner name, date of the drive, write a description from the notes taken during the drive, and include a picture demonstrating the issue(s). Finished letters will be emailed to Sandy who will print, put in envelope, stamp and mail.

Treasury: Sandy reported that there was some problem at Proledge which prevented them from producing the treasury report that is normally sent to Dan Gonzales and to Sandy in time for the monthly board meeting.

Social: Sandy said that Johanna is planning a Food Truck event at the pool for around the middle of August.

Sandy reported the recent deaths of long-time homeowners Henry F. Meschkat and Austin D. McMahan, and said she will be sending sympathy cards to the families.

Sandy adjourned the meeting at 9 pm.

Footnote #1: Marilyn checked the summer 2019 board meeting minutes and found the following for July 11, 2019:
POOL: Lori reported there are currently 72 memberships, the highest number she is ever aware of.